How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
hellbender451
Last Name: fonte
First Name: matthew
Address: flushing ny 11355

Recipes

Post by hellbender451 »

Hi everyone.
I thought it might be fun to open a topic for sharing recipes, cooking tips and questions. Any type of food will do, however, the easier, more simple and nutritious the better. Share your own recipes or someone else's. Originality is always best, though. Mention if you have tried it out yourself.
I'll start things off. What better to start with than a simple breakfast. Just an omelet really, with 3 protein sources and not too much cholesterol. As with all recipes, variations are perfectly OK.

butter
Three eggs
One egg sized chunk of firm tofu (when done, you won't taste it)
Onion or scallion
Cheese (Swiss or cheddar are my prefs)
One slice whole wheat bread or whole wheat tortilla/wrap
Salt and pepper can go in at any stage
Doing the chopping and scrambling the night before saves A.M. prep time

Chop up some onion or scallion (however nuch you might like)
Using a fork, mash tofu in a bowl
Seperate two of the eggs so you have two whites and one whole eggs in bowl with tofu and scramle with fork
Butter pan
Sweat (lightly fry) onion/scallion
Add egg/tofu to pan
Cook
Flip
Cook and add cheese to one half
Fold egg in half over cheese

Have on plate with toast or wrap it

I find a nice side for this is some lightly( olive oil) fried tomatoes with salt and white pepper

My usual morning bev is hot water with lemon and sometimes a little honey.

Hope you enjoy, and I look forward to trying some of your recipes
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Re: Recipes

Post by curdog »

I don't know why others didn't respond to your recipe idea. I thought it was a good one, though I am not much of a cook. I do like to try new things, though, especially if they are relatively simple.

Here is a recipe that I like. Collard Greens. Sometimes I use olive oil, but the way I really like them to be prepared is in bacon or salt pork, fat back, etc..

Wash and cut the collards. I like to take out about half the stems, but leave some of them. Cut them up. I like them cut fine rather than in large chunks. Collards can be tough, so do most of the "chewing" with your knife before you cook them. Cut up some onion (to taste) to go along with the collards.

Now cut up some bacon and let it cook so that the fat covers the bottom of the pan. Then put your collards and onion on top of the hot bacon grease and wilt the collards in the hot bacon fat (don't overdue the bacon - not too greasy). When the collards get tender add enough water to cover the collards. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for at least an hour, two is better. Add water as necessary.

When the collards are done you should serve them with a vinegary pepper sauce. Trappeys makes an excellent condiment for this.

I know that Atlas says never to use bacon or fat meats. If that is an issue with you, then just put the collards and onion in water and add generous amounts of olive oil. I do this occassionally and I like them this way also.
hellbender451

Post by hellbender451 »

I love collard greens and I love bacon, though we all know the bads of bacon. Bacon once in a while is OK (we need to live a little) I feel. If you want a more flavorful option to just water, you might try, as an alternative to the bacon, a smoked leg of turkey or ham bone. More healthy? Sounds like it should be, right?
Simmer with the onion for a while before adding greens. Also, I find chicken broth, rather than straight water, gives the dish more flavor. That’s how I usually do it, but, I will try the bacon approach sometime when I feel like giving myself a rare treat.

Thanks for picking up on the forum idea. Hope it keeps going.
curdog

Post by curdog »

I never thought about trying collards with a smoked turkey leg, but that sounds good. Also, I like the idea about cooking them down in chicken broth. I'm going to give that a try. Thumbs Up on That!
hellbender451

Post by hellbender451 »

Hey curdog,
I tried your recipe using turnip greens (could not get collard greens) and turkey bacon which I fried with the onions in olive oil. It was good, but missing something. Now I remember I did not use any hot sauce. I don’t reach for the hot stuff as readily as I used to but, next time I will be sure to use a drop (a little goes a long way for me).
I know, Mr. Atlas suggests avoiding vinegar and spicy food, but sometimes you want your food to bit back, just a little.
Keep cooking
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Post by Bridge »

Yes, keep it going. Although I am not a good cook, now and then I get the desire to rustle up some good grub and so I head for the kitchen. My specialty dish is hard boiled eggs! :D Seriously, keep the recipes coming.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Thats interesting about boiled eggs. Recently I have started craving eggs. I think its the protein in them. Anyway, I like them now with salt and pepper. And though not recommended by Charles Atlas I like them with hot sauce. Here recently its a mild sauce called Valentino or something like that.

Last night I was looking at a protein bar. 20 grams, 230 calories, for 1.50. If I just boiled an egg I could get just about the same amount of protein for a tenth of the calories for about .20. Its a no-brainer.
lch
Last Name: hamlin
First Name: chip
Address: 4043 mooneyham lonewood rd spencer tn 38585
Phone: 4238815152

Post by lch »

those are good recipes keep em coming, even CA himself recomended an omelet with cheese and i got to admit i love em myself,collards too.
hellbender451

Post by hellbender451 »

Here is one I had tonight as a side with chicken.

One bunch of Broccoli Rabe (pronounced “rob”)
½ pound spaghetti
Garlic, minced fresh or powdered
Olive oil
¼ to ½ cup chicken broth
Pecorino Romano cheese

Chop ends off broccoli rabe stalks
Pull apart as many leaves as possible
Wash

Boil water, cook pasta

In large pan, fry garlic in oil
Add broccoli rabe and broth. Cover and cook till tender.

Add pasta to broccoli rabe. Mix.

Put on plate and cover with grated Romano cheese.

Eat

Notes:
Broccoli rabe stalks can sometimes be tough and fibrous, like eating twigs, and no amount of cooking will make the stalks tender. I have not figured how to pick the tender stuff, but mostly I get lucky. I’m sure you will too.

Whole grain pastas are available and fine for the job, but, with all the veg in here, not entirely necessary. I mix ¼ pound whole grain and ¼ pound reg.

Recipe also works well with fresh dandelion greens.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Recipes

Post by Henry Marczak »

Something I make everyday for work is...

A cup of plain Balkan style yogurt
2 tablespoons of protein powder
chopped fruit such as pineapple or a peach, mix
generous sprinkling of 4 berry blend frozen berries. don't mix till ready to eat, like when the fruit has thawed.
generous sprinkle of walnut halves.

I make this the night before and if the walnut are mix then the whole thing will be bitter. You can use any nuts you fancy, walnut have a good texture, not too hard. I eat this after my sandwich made on sprouted Bible bread with meat and cheese or chicken at about 10am, keeps me going till lunch at noon.