How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Good C's

Post by curdog »

I think the posts on the evil seven c's is great! I think of them whenever I eat chips and crackers. Ouch on the coffee, a major weakness of mine.

Anyway, I thought that there might be some GOOD c's out there. Here are some things I would put on the list:

1. Calcium -- Atlas advises milk, and I have discovered it to be a great food. Not only good for the bones but the skin as well (helps reduce wrinkles).

2. C Vitamin -- Well-said to be the king of vitamins.

3. Collards -- Rich in vitamins and fiber. Saved the South during the Great Depression. Delicious when properly prepared. I like them cut fine and cooked with olive oil or salt pork. Collards take time to cook properly, so don't get in a hurry with them.

4. Carrots -- Good for the eyes and when eaten in numerous quantities will even give the illusion of having a tan. I confess I have never eathen that many! When ground up carrots are a good addition to meat products to lessen the calories and make it stretch just a little further (for hard economic times). Try them in spaghetti, meat loaf, chili, hamburger helper, sloppy joes, etc.

5. Canola oil -- good for the heart, but I don't like it as much as olive oil.

6. Canned sardines (OK, that C is a stretch!) -- To put it simply, fish oil is good for you. Its easy, its good protein, and you get to the taste after awhile. I actually like them more than tuna.

7. Cold water (OK so its an even further stretch) -- water is essential. I have learned that most of the time my mind tells me I'm hungry I'm actually thirsty. I now go for liquid first and find that most of the time my hunger leaves. That I-can't-figure-out-what-I'm-hungry-for feeling is usually just thirst unsatisfied by anything less than water/liquid. I think some of my recent weight-loss has been due to acquiring the Atlas water drinking habit.
ca_admin
Site Admin

Re: Good C's

Post by ca_admin »

NOTE FROM FORUM ADMIN:
CANOLA OIL HAS BEEN QUESTIONED BY NUMERUOS PEOPLE IN THE FITNESS FIELD AND NUTRITION FIELD. JUST DO SOME RESEARCH ON IT TO SEE WHAT YOU FEEL. OLIVE OIL IS ALWAYS THE BETTER WAY TO GO.
FORUM ADMIN
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

Maybe in some language olive begins with a "c"? ;)
ca_admin
Site Admin

Post by ca_admin »

NOTE FROM FORUM ADMIN:
WE KNOW THAT OLIVE OIL DOESN'T BEGIN WITH A C, BUT WE WERE SPEAKING ABOUT CANOLA OIL. :D FORUM ADMIN
hellbender451
Last Name: fonte
First Name: matthew
Address: flushing ny 11355

Post by hellbender451 »

I agree with you on the canned sardines. Cheap, transportable, usually have pull tab for easy opening, high/quality protein, less Mercury than tuna, low in bad fat, high in good fat. I usually eat them right out of the can, but, would be interested in ways to make them more palatable. Perhaps you could share ideas in the recipe forum.
Canned salmon is good also.
With canned tuna and salmon, I try to rinse them before eating (or use in recipe) to reduce salt. Perhaps I should do this with sardines as well.
Believe it or not, pickled herring is a tasty variation on the same theme. I keep a jar of herring in wine sauce in my fridge for snacking. Give it a try.
curdog

Post by curdog »

I don't have any sardine recipes, but I do have preferences for them. I like the ones packed in water best because they are less greasy and then I like them smothered in mustard or Louisiana hotsauce, or both. I know that mustard and the hot sauce are forbidden by Atlas, but its the only way I can actually enjoy the goodness of sardines.
lch
Last Name: hamlin
First Name: chip
Address: 4043 mooneyham lonewood rd spencer tn 38585
Phone: 4238815152

Post by lch »

not one of the good c's but an occasional ice cold coke gets sneaked in every once in a while
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

You could add chard to that list. Chick peas could go on there too. What about cauliflower? Don't forget chicken. What about clams, catfish, crabs, crawfish, and cod liver oil? Calf liver? I don't think chitterlings would go on there. Cabbage belongs on it. What about cassava? Cashews? Cantaloupe? I wouldn't put coconuts on it.
hellbender451
Last Name: fonte
First Name: matthew
Address: flushing ny 11355

Post by hellbender451 »

About coconuts. I would include them on the “Good C’s” list. Not the hard, brown gnarly ones we commonly see in our supermarkets, but the fresh, young coconuts. They can be hard to find unless you live near a health food store that stocks them or Asian neighborhood. But if you get your hands on some Buko (as they are called in the Philippines) you are in for a treat (if you can get inside without making a mess). Young coconut water, Buko juice, is fat free, high in potassium and addictively delicious. It has a sweet, woody taste, almost like sweet almonds. The meat is thin and tender with the same taste qualities as the juice. It’s fresh fruit. How can that be bad?
curdog

Post by curdog »

Spearhead put cabbage on the list. I love it all kinds of ways. I like it cooked in the pot with corned beef, especially for New Years. I like it in sour kraut with sausage. I like red cabbage and white cabbage.

One way I like cabbage might not make the Atlas A-list. Have you ever had Bubble and Squeak? First, you make mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage as two separate food items. Then use the leftovers the next day for Bubble and Squeak. Here's how you do it. First use wilt a good helping of minced onions and garlic. If no garlic, then add garlic powder to the cabbage and potatoes. The traditional way is brown then in lard, but I suppose you can do it in olive oil for the sake of your health. While the onions are browning mix together equal parts of cabbage and potatoes (garlic powder here if not added before). Also add salt and pepper to taste. Brown them on top of the onions. They will start to bubble and steam as they get hot, hence the name Bubble and Squeak. Traditionally you add lard to the top to cook it down into the mixture, but you don't have to do this. When you have a good crust on the bottom, turn it over. You don't have to turn it like a pancake. Just take your spatula and sort of turn it over in chunks. Then cook it until you have a good crust on the bottom. Again, traditionally you add lard to the top and let it cook down into the mixture again, but you don't have to do this. When it is all hot and you have a crust on the top and bottom it is ready. This is delicious, but I wouldn't serve it cold or as a left-over, especially if you elect to use lard or bacon fat (I usually do but I don't recommend it).

I realize that the two recipes I have offered on this thread both use bacon fat or lard. Maybe I better re-think this thing.