Side Bends

How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Side Bends

Post by Bridge »

Do you do a lot of the side bends exercise? I do them daily, sometimes real slow, and you can really feel it a lot more, or sometimes I do them at a faster clip, still feeling it, but not as much as if done slowly.
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Re: Side Bends

Post by curdog »

I try to do 100 of everything (may not be the best policy). As a result, I think I do these exercises too fast. I have started changing them into a simple flex at different poses of the back and then doing half the circles and the other half (fifty) of twists. Its a major deviation from the Perpetual Lesson, I know, but it has been working for me in the past few weeks.

Slowing down the exercises, as you do, is something I am working on. I have read that you need to hold and flex these exercises a few seconds (as much as eight) to get the full value of them.

I, too, would like more information about speed, etc. on this exercise, as well as others.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

I do them fairly regularly also side stretches.
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

How do you compare doing side bends with doing situps with a twist at the top position, twisting right on one rep and then left on the other? Both are good, but which one do you think is the most effective? Lately, I have been doing the situps with a twist at the top, and it feels better to me than doing the standing side bends.
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

I used to do these more like a stretching exercise. Done that way it mainly worked the lower back. I have begun to do them more like a flex and hold exercise. Its more of a pull than a push/stretch. This way it works more of the lats.
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

curdog wrote:I try to do 100 of everything (may not be the best policy). As a result, I think I do these exercises too fast. I have started changing them into a simple flex at different poses of the back and then doing half the circles and the other half (fifty) of twists. Its a major deviation from the Perpetual Lesson, I know, but it has been working for me in the past few weeks.

Slowing down the exercises, as you do, is something I am working on. I have read that you need to hold and flex these exercises a few seconds (as much as eight) to get the full value of them.

I, too, would like more information about speed, etc. on this exercise, as well as others.
I guess that it's true, we get a little wiser as we get older! By slowing down my routine, I am feeling much better doing all my exercises. You can't do as many reps this way, as doing them fast you get the benefit of body momentum. I maintain strict good form now, and just do as many reps as possible, shooting for no particular figure, just until fatigue. Of course, I try to maintain doing a certain minimum of reps, for me this is 50. I only do one set of each of the Perpetual Lesson exercises, morning and evening, a little change from what I was doinhg before, with a 3 mile walk in the middle of the day. I stretch after my P.M. workout. By the way, do most of you guys stretch after exercising?