How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
Prior Aelred
Last Name: Glidden
First Name: Aelred
Address: 56500 Abbey Road Three Rivers MI 49093
Phone: 2692445893

Re: How Old Are You?

Post by Prior Aelred »

I am 58 years old & have been doing the Charles Atlas Fitness Course for about eight months. Since I am in a monastery, my time is greatly restricted & most of my work is done in morning & evening sessions (although I still like to do Lesson One every day at midday & throw in some chin-ups). I've lost about 30# AND built up muscle mass (especially in my arms & shoulders).
My totals for the basics are 350 push-ups, 300 crunches & 200 squats. I've don't do sit-ups & leg lifts because everyone these days seems to think that they are bad for the lower back. I do a squat that is not from the basic course, but that Charles Atlas demonstrated in the article he did for Physical Culture Magazine in February 1936 -- lie flat & bring the shoulder & hips off the floor simultaneously (& don't let the head or feet touch the floor). It seems to work for me.
Since we have common meals, diet is an ongoing problem (but usually I can skip "useless carbs").
It feels good!
geosta
Last Name: Stathis
First Name: George
Address: Amfipoleos 18-20 54454 Thessaloniki Greece
Phone: 2310921682

Post by geosta »

Thank you Bridge, it's from a book called "The science of getting rich" and despite its title, it is more like a life guide rather than a business plan.
It also shares many principles with Charles Atlas philosophy, like the ones about the power of will, the visualization of the target result, never work at cross-purposes, how the the subconscious mind works etc.

It is now in public domain and you can find it and download it for free.
"Give every man more in use value
than you take from him in cash value;
then you are adding to the life of the
world
by every business transaction"

Wallace D. Wattles
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

Prior Aelred wrote: I've don't do sit-ups & leg lifts because everyone these days seems to think that they are bad for the lower back.
I will be 58 this November. When doing sit-ups or leg raises over head, don't jerk the body, some people seem to flail themselves back and forth and this could be where some get injured. Use control and good form and you will be OK, also when bringing the head to the knee's don't bend the spine, keep straight and and move from the hips. Most times when I do the leg raise, I have my arms over head straight out, then bring the legs up and over till they touch the hands, this could be a bit more advanced than the hands at the sides or under the butt, but a good variation. Sometimes I do sit-ups and only come up 45 degrees, this keeps tension on the abs more.
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Post by emfermi »

I am 30 years old and have being doing DT since I was 28. DT is the only fitness program I have ever followed because it is apparatus-free and because it works like a dream, besides giving me so much go for the day. As long as I exercise, I feel great. Get a bit on the lazy side, I feel like dragging al day long. And when I get that feeling, it´s time to change something in my routine!!!
The Modern Sandow
Last Name: Perkins
First Name: Joseph
Address: 186BoLoopPitkinLa70656
Phone: 13183585422

Post by The Modern Sandow »

Hi,
New to the group.
i'm 38 going on 18 (feels good to feel younger then you are) :D I am following a combination of the writings of Eugen Sandow and George Hackenschmidt and am planning on purchasing a copy of the Atlas course to expand my exercise options.
taipei5200
Last Name: Martin
First Name: Ron
Address: 13506 Latta Gordon Road Huntersville NC 28078

Post by taipei5200 »

Me, I'm 68 years old..Just started the course and in 10 days I'm amazed at the difference in my chest area..Sleeping good too!
Vitaman
Last Name: Man
First Name: Vita
Address: Staten island NY

Post by Vitaman »

i am 52 ...Have experiemented with alot of different excercises since a life threatening asthma hospital stay..the charles atlas course is great, efficient, etc. So at 52 i feel off to a great start.
Vitaman

Post by Vitaman »

last one didnt post...i am 52 , glad i found my way to the Atlas system....it's great, wish i
did it when i was a kid reading comics...ahh those ads.
Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

Time marches on, I'll be 64 November 2016.
Vitaman

Post by Vitaman »

Wow...seems alot of the students are older than me. Hope to see some of the younger guys hop on board and experience this. People are bombarded with so much even in the fitness and nutrition areas, again tried and true wins the race.
Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many.