walking

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
Vitaman
Last Name: Man
First Name: Vita
Address: Staten island NY

Re: walking

Post by Vitaman »

i do beach walks , how about pounding the pavement...tighten legs?...is there something on the board or atlas museum that addresses this?
Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many.
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

I think walking on soft ground is more difficult than walking on hard ground. Especially a freshly plowed field after a heavy rain, or through tall grass. Loose sand works too. Yes, you're supposed to tense your legs and thighs periodically through the walk. You can tense your buttocks too for good measure. Be sure to tense the hamstrings. It'd probably work on an elliptical.
Vitaman

Post by Vitaman »

thanks
Vitaman

Post by Vitaman »

thanks for that advice. Where in the course can I find the walking advise...not seeing it would like to be able to see it daily as a reminder
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

Lesson 8 and the perpetual lesson. Walk as brisk as you can. Time yourself, and try to walk it faster each time. Many critics of Dynamic Tension complain there is no cardio exercise in it. They are wrong. The 3 mile walk IS the cardio exercise. Speed walking isn't as glamorous as other cardio exercises might be, but it will work - and without the joint issues that so often comes with running. Walking is actually the best exercise you can do.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

A popular walking exercise I do is - do a high kick (about shoulder height) then without touching the floor with that leg swing it back so the heel touches your butt and grasp with hand, drop the foot and step forward a little while doing so, do the same with the other leg, walk the length of an area turn and repeat if you run out of length. You can touch the floor with the toe if you need to balance before kick back.
Vitaman

Post by Vitaman »

I do leg swings as far and high as i can go and then back, also tensed ( dynamic tension) leg knee lifts and the atlas toe lift as a routine daily or when ever...feels great...got get a pedometer to track walking.
Jim
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by Jim »

I don't consider myself a hard-core walker, but I once was getting up early before any traffic (5:00) and doing DT while walking, finishing with lunge walks up a hill. Great workout, done in the a.m., shower and I'm set for the day. Kind of dropped off the regular program like this, now more alternate days. Sometimes I'll jog intervals, then do DT while walking, then jog, then DT while walking. Great on an early a.m. beach. I'm 76 now and I find I don't have the energy to do DT everyday. But when more than a couple days go by without it I miss it and get to doing something DT even if only a few exercises here and there throughout the day. Jim
Vitaman

Post by Vitaman »

Wow...well asthma prevents me from running, walking not an issue, plus hip issue keeps me from lunges and squat can be difficult at times...but have tried the muscle tensing while walking and I adapted this is tensed Knee lifts...I was considering nordic walking but with asthma its difficult is all tyoe of weather to get out for those walks so I rely on a mini eliptical at times...need to keep track of my steps to achieve even close to the Atlas instructions.
Jim
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by Jim »

I live in a city and find walking early in the a.m. (6:00) leaves me plenty of peace and quiet. But I keep my walks to about 15 min while I do Atlas exercises. Works great. Increases heart rate. I do lunge walks up a pretty steep hill. Can do it any time of year, even in the rain I've done it. Give it a try!
Jim