Vegan Challenge

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Vegan Challenge

Post by Henry Marczak »

Nowadays there's a lot of trend in being Vegan, and even Atlas Ltd now has Pea Protein in their Store.
I eat plenty of Vegan food and many of my friends are Vegan or Vegetarian. So me and my wife have decided to take on the 30 day Vegan challenge for the month of June. The weeks leading up to it have been about using up everything non-Vegan, certainly a lot closer label reading this weekends shopping.
Jim
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Re: Vegan Challenge

Post by Jim »

So a couple week have gone by on this experiement, Henry. How's it going? Anything to report? For myself, I get the value of fruits and veggies, and I'm not a bit meat eater, still I do love a steak now and then. And of course seafood and chicken. I've always leaned toward variety in moderation. I'm not one for rules to enslave us. Same for the Atlas program -- I often draw on it, but there are days when I do maybe 2 exercises, 3 sets, for a total of 7 minutes. That's it. Stimulates me some and is a good break from trying to do too much.
Best,
Jim
Henry Marczak

Post by Henry Marczak »

I have been a vegan fan since 1970 partly because of my Yoga practice, then again around '73 watching the old Kung Fu show with David Carradine. Over the years I've taken stabs at it but this time with so many of my friends being Vegan me and the wife are into it. I know a lot more about nutrition and there's so much info to guide you these days.
Henry Marczak

Post by Henry Marczak »

Just to try we bought a frozen vegan pizza that had no allergens, gluten free etc. It was a deluxe type with vegan mock meat which was interesting, not the usual gluten soy stuff but a pea protein mock meat which actually wasn't bad at all.

Have tried some vegan breakfast style sausage which was fairly good but that was your gluten and soy. I'm not bothered by soy or gluten and drink unsweetened soy milk which is organic and non-GMO.

The soy milk ingredients are...
FILTERED WATER, WHOLE ORGANIC SOYBEANS, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL FLAVOURS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (B2), VITAMIN D2, VITAMIN B12, THIAMINE (B1), NIACIN (B3), VITAMIN B6, PANTOTHENATE (B5).

Generally eat a variety of beans, tofu, tempeh and peas rather than much mock meat.
Henry Marczak

Post by Henry Marczak »

I've passed 30 days, no problem going to the end of June and beyond.

Went to the Asian supermarket last weekend mainly because they have a huge selection of imported foods and wanted to get Polish vegetarian Bigos (cabbage stew) they have in jars. What I found also was a soy beverage with only - Ingredients: Water, Soybeans (Non-GMO), Sodium Bicarbonate (Acidity Regulator), 1/2 the price of the fortified soy beverage. The fresh wide rice noodle is fantastic, fried a little = delicious.
Henry Marczak

Vegan Challenge Update

Post by Henry Marczak »

Update

Still Vegan and can say I've transitioned very well. What I have noticed is my body fat has reduce a lot, have a very lean ab section and muscular definition. I ate quite healthy before but now eat even more of the healthy natural food. Instead of yogurt as part of lunch, now have chia seed/soy milk pudding and strawberries. Still have my salad for lunch but instead of meat add a cup of mixed beans, today added quinoa. A sandwich I make for 1st break at work is 1/2 cup mashed chickpeas and used in the same way as making a tuna salad sandwich mixture. Breakfast today was a tofu scramble wrap with mushroom and green onion, flavoured with turmeric, black pepper and nutritional yeast. A lot of variety of what you can make being Vegan, and so many restaurants here that have healthy organic vegan options, we even have a vegan fast food restaurant, organic as well.

Feel very fit and healthy.
ca_admin
Site Admin

Post by ca_admin »

Keep up the great work Henry! Did you know that the VP of Charles Atlas is also Vegan? Yes she is. Anyway, just so you know it is good for anyone to eat any way they see fit, as long as it is healthy. All the best in your search for your perfect health and fitness! Forum Admin
Henry Marczak

lacto-ovo-pescatarian

Post by Henry Marczak »

bought a litre of milk, some cheese and fish for a week, I guess that would make me a lacto-ovo-pescatarian.

Not sure how my diet will continue, staying with the soy or almond beverage (not called milk in Canada). Have been eating some fish plus fish oil capsules and a little cheese. Eggs only in mayonnaise or added ingredient to something, like I had vegetarian drunken noodle that had a tiny bit of scrambled egg. Because it's the 2 of us, we stick with it, my wife is more steadfast as she's not into fish.